The Journey So Far
Since Launch in April 2015; ROAM travelled over 1500 Nautical Miles as a surprisingly capable power cat achieving good cruising speeds and remarkable economy. Her first adventure was a 200Nm South to Hobart for engine sea trials. ROAM provided amazing accommodation for the Dark MOFO festival at Salamanca, Hobart. After some local cruising on Tasmania's East Coast including the Bay of Fires and Michael had saved up for the mast, ROAM was motored across Bass Strait and the mast was stepped in Williamstown, Victoria in October 2015. Then headed North with sails being completed in December 2015 and collected in Sydney.
Check out Sail Surf ROAM videos #1 to #4 for this part of the adventure.
With the Sails fitted and ROAM fully operational for the first time Team ROAM came back to Tasmania for Christmas 2015 as captured in Sail Surf ROAM film #5
January 2015 was our lap of Tasmania. Amazing scenery the whole way round. We will cruise for along time to top this trip. Check out Sail Surf ROAM videos #6 to #9.
PLANNED journey for 2015/2016
The journey will be as unplanned as possible however the loose outline involves cruising the East Coast of Australia, for the end of 2015, then returning to Tassie to finish the summer with a circumnavigation of the Island to spend some time in the vast parts of the state inaccessible by road.
As the Southern Hemisphere Summer draws to a close we will head East towards New Zealand to put some finishing touches on ROAM, then North into the Pacific hopefully to score some waves around New Caledonia or Fiji.
Essentially, post cyclone season, the Pacific is a blank page and we plan to experience as much of it as possible!!!!! There is a lot of work still to do on ROAM to allow extended cruising but so far its all coming together as planned.
- Furthest position South:
- 43° 41.82’ S. 146°56.73' E. Off South East Cape Tasmania 6th Jan 2016.
- Crew = Michael, Liss, Benn, and Andy.
- Furthest position West:
- 8° 8.69' S. 144° 21.99' E. Geelong Yacht Club, 22nd October 2015.
- Crew = Michael and Larissa.
- Furthest position North:
- 16° 39.54' S. 179°51.91 ' E. Northern tip of Taveuni Island Fiji 23 September 2016
- Crew = Michael, Andy, Larissa, Holly, Michael Brill, Jillene Brill
- Furthest position East:
- 19° 09.92' S. 178° 27.57' W Fulaga Island, Southern Lau Group 29th August 2016.
- Crew = Michael, Larissa, Andy, Holly.
- Longest Passage:
- Longest Passage Vuda point, Fiji to Bundaberg, Australia. 1590Nm. 9 Days. Crew = Michael, Larissa, Andy, Holly and Bronc.
- Second longest Sydney to Noumea. 1200Nm. 7 Days. 27th May 2016 - 3rd June 2016. Crew = Michael, Larissa, Andy, Holly and Iain.
- Best 24hrs:
- 230.4Nm Upper Tasman on the 2nd June 2016. Reaching in 20-30 knots of wind with 3 reefs. Swapping between Genoa and Staysail or both as sea states allow.
- Crew = Michael, Larissa, Andy, Holly and Iain.
- Fastest Speed:
- 22.4 Knots (surf). North West Tasmania, in 25 to 30 knots of wind, 110 AWA, 140 TWA with 2 Reefs and Genoa, 20th December 2015.
- Crew = Michael, Liss and Andy.
- Fastest Speed, Flat water:
- 16.9 Knots. Approx 25 knots TWS. 75 AWA, 110 TWA with 2 Reefs and Genoa. Tavarua Island Fiji . 17th October 2016
- Crew = Michael, Liss, Andy, Holly and Bronc.