ZUCCHINI 3 WAYS - Larisstoss Brilliant
Spending some time on home turf is always nice. Growing up on a farm I don't mind getting my hands dirty and this time of the year my parent's vegetable garden and fruit trees are presenting the family with the goods. I really should be studying today but I found myself getting distracted by my creative side so here are some delicious and of course healthy creations I have to share with you.
Gluten free vegan zucchini and date loaf with walnut and chia
The goodness (ingredients)
1 1/2cups grated zucchini
2 cups of almond meal of your choice of gluten free flour keep in mind different flours absorb and create different consistencies
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 table spoons chia seeds
2 table spoons psyllium husk
2 ½ table spoons baking powder
1 tea spoon grated ginger
½ tea spoon sea salt
1 tea spoon of lemon juice
1 tea spoon apple cider vinegar
3 table spoons of coconut oil melted
½ cup of almond milk
1 table spoon of maple syrup ( I used honey as I had no maple syrup )
1 tea spoon of cinnamon
1 table spoon of pumpkin seeds (optional topping)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c° line with baking paper a loaf pan
2. In a bowl cover dates with boiling water and let soak for 15-30 min.
3. Grate zucchini, and a little ginger ( tea spoon is enough, you can use powdered ginger if you like) I used the food processor with the grate attachment. To avoid bread coning out too moist you can squeeze excess moisture from grated zucchini with some paper towel or cheese cloth, …. I was too lazy and just opted to take the risk of very moist bread.
4. Combine dry ingredients in a bowel – almond meal. Baking powder, psyllium husk, chia seeds, sea salt, and cinnamon
5. Drain dates, in food processor with mixing blade, mix dates, zucchini, ginger and walnuts until dates and walnuts are roughly chopped
6. Add dry ingredients to the food processor mix and then the rest of the wets ingredients (lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk) mix on low speed for 1 minute. Use a spatula to fold mixture
7. Pour batter into prepared loaf tin top it off by sprinkling pumpkin seeds and some crushed walnuts, bake for 60 -70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean. (Mine baked up in 60 but I've heard feedback that it can take quite a bit longer and sometimes less if your oven runs hot, so just keep checking it and use your intuition. The almond meal is not very absorbent so the loaf is quite moist and coconut oil also sets when loaf cools. If using another flour then cooking time may be less. ) Cut into slices and serve. Bread will keep, wrapped up tightly, for up to a week, best kept in the fridge and it can be frozen for up to one month.
I am definitely making a stock pile for the Roam freezer #boatfood ha ha
Gluten free/ dairy free Zucchini Slice
2/3 cups (150g) bacon.
3-4 cups (600g) grated zucchini (about 3 medium).
2 small brown onions.
1 1/4 cup (140g) almond meal.
1/3 cup (60g) coconut oil melted
1 small red chilli, finely diced
1 sliced tomato
1. Preheat the oven to 175C/350F and line a 15 x 30 cm (6 x 12 inches) dish with baking paper.
2. Dice the bacon and fry over high heat until brown and crispy.
3. Meanwhile, wash and grate the zucchini and onions.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and then stir through the almond meal.
5. Add the zucchini, onion, oil, chilli and pre-cooked bacon and mix well. The mixture should be just pourable
6. Pour into the lined baking dish top with a sliced tomato and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to cool before slicing into small squares. The slice should last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and will also freeze well for up to a month.
Zucchini slice freezes so well and is always a sure to please a crowd. This particular recipe i have created is free from dairy and gluten and packed with goodness. Zucchini slice is the prefect quick meal or snack for over night sailing passages when at sea.
Zucchini and lentil soup, gluten free and vegan friendly
And ohh so filling
3 medium sized zucchini , roughly peeled and chopped
1 large brown onion roughly chopped
1 table spoon of coconut oil
1 table spoon of turmeric spice
1 tea spoon of cumin spice
1 table spoon of Crushed garlic
2 cups of green lentils
600 ml of water
1 teaspoon of sea salt
To garnish 1 table spoon on hummus and a pinch of sprouts (alternative for non-vegan top with a tea spoon natural yogurt )
1. Soak lentils for 30 minutes
2. While lentils are soaking, In a large soup pot, melt coconut oil and sauté onion and zucchini until browned and softened.
3. Add water spices and garlic to pot and turn heat to medium low and let simmer with lid on pot.
4. Add lentils and salt replace lid and cook on low for 60 minutes. (I made a zucchini slice while the soup cooked )
5. Let soup cool for 10 minutes then with a bay mix, combine soup in the pot until smooth and creamy. Serve hot with a dollop of hummus, pinch of sprouts and a grind of cracked pepper.
Zucchini an lentil soup is so creamy you will think it has cream in it, It tends to taste much sweeter if you brown the zucchini and onion in the pot with coconut oil (or your choice of oil) before adding the water and simmering. Enjoy hot or cold, It freezes really well and is a great fast meal option to have on hand. The lentils make it very filling and are great for digestion as well and being packed with nutrients including iron. This soup goes a long way and costs next to nothing so perfect when scraping together your last pennies when you have been travelling more than working ... oops !
Please share your feedback If you try these Zucchini recipes for yourself and I will try and I will aim to keep more spontaneous food and health blogs coming