Apart from a few Facebook photos added on my personal Facebook page and a handful added on www.diy-yachts.com I didn't document the building of ROAM as well as I would have liked. Some builders create awesome blogs that not only record what they accomplished but are great assets for ideas for other builders. I just didn't have time.... Between working on ROAM, working for the $ for ROAM and as much real life as possible I was maxed out... But that's finally changed and I am looking forward to sharing some of the details of the boat. So this is a sneak peak behind the scenes. Currently the hot topic is the rig we are working. Other details to follow!
The rig, like everything we have done so far in regards to Roam, has had the “is there any improvements we can make” thought process put over it. We ended up with two main changes and a bunch of small ones.
The first main change was we decided to build our own boom. We had some help from a friend and built a foam cored composite boom in Park Avenue style but a scoop rather than a V shape complete with a taper and all painted to match the boat. The boom will capture the mainsail when lowered as is much wider than a regular boom without the need for rails. Bolt ropes have been added for the sail cover and awnings and hardpoints added for soft loop attachment for all lines.
The rig design was adjusted after a tip and good info I got to include a mast head spinnaker halyard. To do this we had to add set of top diamonds that support the top of the mast. The lower half of the top diamond lands on the 2nd spreader. So now we have a really nice looking triple spreader mast! The reason for the mast head halyard is so our spinnaker can have a straight luff IE the furler torque rope will be within the luff of the sail technically making it a gennaker so it can be furled just like a roller furling genoa making it easier and safer to handle.